For more than 100 years, Mid-Cape Home Centers has been providing quality building materials to professional builders and homeowners involved in new construction and home improvement on Cape Cod, the Islands and the South Shore.
The legacy began in 1895, when Captain Oscar C. Nickerson gave up command of the schooner Abel W. Parker and purchased the Kelley and Eldredge Lumber Co. in Chatham... the beginning of what was later to become Nickerson Lumber Company and eventually Mid-Cape Home Centers.
The company grew in the early-1900’s by acquiring the Eldredge Lumber, Feed and Coal business in Orleans and then the Oliver Lumberyard in Wellfleet. During the mid-1900’s the first Mid-Cape Center was established in South Dennis as a “cash and carry” operation. In 1967, the Hyannis Mid-Cape Center opened as the first drive-through, self-service yard in New England. In the late-1900’s a number of new stores were added expanding service territory into Pocasset, Martha’s Vineyard and the South Shore. In 1985, the word “Home” was added to the Company name as Mid-Cape Home Centers. In the early 2000’s several Kitchen & Bath Design Centers were opened.
For more than a century the reins of the company remained in the Nickerson family until the beginning of April 2012, when Nickerson Lumber Company, dba Mid-Cape Home Centers was purchased by Jeff Plank. Mr. Plank has owned and operated several successful companies and is committed to Mid-Cape Home Center’s growth and success. “It has been a dream of mine for some time to own a business such as this one, and I can assure contractors and patrons alike that Mid-Cape Home Centers will continue to be competitive and serve their needs while focusing on future growth and stability,” said Mr. Plank.
In November 2014, Jack Stevenson was promoted from General Manager to President of Mid-Cape Home Centers. Jack has grown up in the building materials business and has worked in and/or managed virtually every position that is involved in our industry.
Mid-Cape Home Centers currently employs 220 people and operates six stores on Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and the South Shore.